Position Title Director of Toll Operations
The Director of Toll Operations reports to the Director of Operations and directs the Operations
Unit. The Director of Toll Operations is responsible for leading and making decisions regarding
the formulation and implementation of policies and procedures for Tollway revenue collection and
operations. Oversees the Customer Service Center, Toll Operations Center and also manages the
violations program. Negotiates and administers contracts for private contractor support of Toll
facilities operations. Participates in the decision-making process regarding the planning, design,
technology, and implementation of integrated toll collection systems on new toll projects. Directs,
administers and conducts reviews and investigations of toll facility and toll service center
operations. Ensures internal customer service and support systems are maintained at optimal levels.
Coordinates with other state agencies for the provision of services needed for Toll operations.
Plans, develops, oversees, and administers budget for division.
- Directs, through subordinate managers, the planning, development, and implementation of assigned functional areas.
- Directs the preparation of financial and operational reports; develops and presents budget and operational reports to other state and federal agencies as well as to the executive leadership as required.
- Develops and maintains working relationships, communications, and contracts with departmental staff as well as applicable external parties (i.e. other governmental agencies, contractors, consultants, general public, etc.). Promotes good public relations.
- Interviews, hires, directs and evaluates the performance of and, when necessary, disciplines and discharges subordinate managerial and supervisory personnel.
- Creates and maintains a high performance environment characterized by positive leadership and a strong team orientation.
- Develops and administers budgets.
- Maintains a consistent, high quality, customer-focused orientation when conducting business and providing services or products to clients, the general public and other external customers.
- Interacts with upper levels of management and submits status reports, budget information, recommendations and problem alerts.
- Maintains a high level of job skills by attending and completing various seminars and training courses and reading appropriate literature. Communicates this knowledge to others as required.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends and developments in the field by reading appropriate books, journals, and other literature and attending related seminars and conferences. Applies pertinent new knowledge to performance of other job responsibilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Management.
- Qualified candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree in a business-related field and five years of relevant management experience OR 10 years of current and relevant experience in Tolling Technology or Tolling Operations. The required management experience must include responsibility for budget development, administration of expenditures, project and program management, and staff supervision.
- Must have strong leadership and interpersonal skills, with the ability to motivate and guide others and build effective and cohesive teams toward accomplishment of agency/division goals. Must have the ability to negotiate to find mutually acceptable solutions.
- Must be able to manage multiple work-streams successfully and simultaneously; possess the ability to identify and solve problems using sound and logical approaches that apply innovative and informed solutions to make organizational improvements.
- Forward thinker with the finesse to anticipate and meet organizational and customer needs, including adapting work methods in response to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles. Must be self-motivated, results- oriented, and possess familiarity with related technological developments and understand how to leverage these to improve the performance of assigned business units.
- Must display a strong executive presence and possess a strong business mindset with an aptitude to gather and analyze data. Must demonstrate ability to exhibit compelling and naturally persuasive communication skills of facts and ideas to influence the direction of positive outcomes in a collaborative manner, and communicate decisions in a style that reflects a team-oriented culture.
- Strong written communication skills are a must and should possess proficiency in general business software applications.
- Functional knowledge of related technological developments and ability to integrate new and leading edge technology to manage and improve program effectiveness. Have a proven track record of managing large scale, technical, and enterprise-wide projects; ability to recognize opportunities to aid in the achievement of agency goals and objectives.
- Must have the ability to manage and resolve conflict in a positive and constructive manner. A working proficiency in general business software applications is required. The ability to prepare, justify, and administer project/program budgets. Applicants must possess SRTA’s core values of Integrity, Innovation, Collaboration, Customer Focus, and Diversity.
Bachelor’s degree and work experience in a tolling environment. Direct working knowledge of 3M
and/or the ETCC RITE System and/or experience with dynamically priced tolling systems and
related operational issues. Knowledge and experience with interoperable transactions. Hands-on
knowledge of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and supporting information systems,
including databases and surveillance, data collection and electronic payment infrastructures.